They Say “Hypnos, the Greek god of sleep, was the twin-brother of Thanatos, the greek god of death”. Sleep is such an important part of your life that many scientific studies have shown that a lack of sleep increases your chances of early death.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends these sleep guidelines for adults:
– 7 to 9 hours of sleep for young adults
– 7 to 8 hours of sleep for older adults
Here are the six of the best tips to help you sleep deeper and fuller everyday based on scientific concepts. But remember, You have to start applying these sleep hacks correctly for atleast 2 to 4 weeks to see great results.
- Prepare A Sleep Time Table or Schedule:
This is a very important first step to reset your Circadian Rhythm or the Natures Biological Clock built in your body. Go to bed at the same time everyday, even on weekends. And wake up at the same time every morning.
You can either stick a notes on a small piece of paper near bed that reminds you to go to bed at say about 11 pm or you can even set a gentle go to bed alarm reminder in your phone instead of a wake up alarm or set both wake up and go to bed alarm reminders.
- Avoid these Stimulants before bed:
At least 3 to 4 hours before going to bed, Stop that tea or coffee, chocolates, sodas and nicotine like cigarette smoking. Quit smoking! Not just for the sake of sleep but to stay healthy and avoid the risk of cardiovascular or lung disorders.
Avoid late evening alcohol. Alcohol initially makes you feel sleepy because it is central nervous system depressant. But as soon as the blood alcohol level drops, it activates your sympathetic system. This wakes you up from the deep phases of your sleep and you will have a very bad confused day ahead.
If you have stopped these stimulants and still find yourself difficult to fall asleep, try sleep meditation programs like the sleep meditation music.
- Bedroom Rules:
Remember and follow these quick bedroom tips for a better sleep.
a) Never install a TV in your bedroom.
b) Never let your pets into your bedroom.
- c) Do not eat or drink or perform any activity like reading on bed. Use it only for sleep.
- d) Make sure the bed-sheets and pillow-covers are clean. Change them atleast weekly twice.
- e) 15 to 20 minutes before going to bed, dim the room lights and adjust your room temperature to a comfortable level.
- f) If you are on bed for 20 minutes or more and getting sleep, therapists suggest you get out of bed and do something non-stimulating like for example reading a boring text book) until you start to feel drowsy.
- Importance of Daytime Naps:
A Nap is a very short period of sleep usually during daytime, that helps you refresh yourself and feel energetic for the rest of the day. Taking a nap of about 20 to 30 minutes a day usually between 2 pm to 4 pm not only keeps you energetic for the rest of the day but studies have also shown to reduce blood pressure, stress and anxiety. This inturn helps you in a better deep sleep in the night. And one more thing, do not sleep more than 30 minutes, you may find it difficult to fall asleep in night. Also even if you do not fall asleep in the after noon nap, that’s okay! Just relax !
- Importance of Exercise:
The same rule of 30 minutes exercise daily for 5 days a week applies even here. This I have discussed many times in my earlier videos. Exercise definitely enhances your quality of your sleep.
Do not perform any heavy exercise within 4 hours of bedtime. However, light exercise like yoga or walking after dinner is good. You can exercise at around 6 to 7 pm. Start with light exercises and then do some weight bearing ones like sit ups and push ups but gradually increase the intensity. You should get great results within a week.
- Some Strong Do’s and Don’ts:
- Never touch your laptop or phone at least one hour before bed. These blue light emitting screens depress the production of the hormone melatonin, that plays a very important role in sleep.
- Dinner – should be light and atleast 3 hours before bed. Also never go to bed on hungry stomach, you will not fall asleep and it can infact disturb your sleep.
- You can also try a warm shower 1 hour before going to bed which is believed to increase melatonin production.