Androgenetic Alopecia or Male Pattern Baldness is the commonest cause of Hair loss and balding in both men and women. The hormone DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) produced in the body is responsible for this type of hair fall and ultimately leads to baldness.
DHT accumulates in the scalp and miniaturises hair follicles and ultimately kills the hair follicles which are sensitive to it. Lucky people are those who do not have DHT sensitive hair follicles. This sensitivity depends on hereditary or genetic factors.
Now, we will discuss on the natural remedies for hair loss that reduce the DHT levels in the scalp or prevents its accumulation and damage by splitting the topic into three methods:
- Increase blood circulation to prevent accumulation in the scalp.
- Provide essential nutrients to damaged hair follicles.
- Reduce DHT levels in the scalp.
Good blood circulation is very important to carry the nutrients to hair follicles and it also prevents DHT accumulation in the scalp. To increase blood circulation at the scalp, you can perform the following tasks:
- Head Massage: Gently massaging your scalp in circular motion and pressures, can improve the blood flow to the scalp hair follicles. Perform head massage at least twice daily.
- Yoga specially the Head down position called “SheershaSan” is very beneficial to increase blood flow suddenly to scalp and wash out any accumulated DHT and prevent damage to hair follicles. Be in this position for atleast one minute and perform 3 sets of this yoga once daily.
- Regular Exercise of atleast 30 minutes daily like jogging, treadmill, pushups or any kind of activity is proven to be beneficial to improve blood circulation.
Then the next step is to provide some essential nutrients to rejuvenate the damaged and weak hair follicles. Nutrients are carried to hair follicles through the blood stream and hence apart from eating a well balanced diet, you need to include few foods in your diet rich in protein, minerals and anti-oxidants like Eggs, nuts, green vegetables, whole grains, lentils, etc. We will list out the top 10 foods that can lower DHT levels and fight hair loss in a shortwhile from now.
Then, Avoid alcohol consumption and smoking. And, If you are dieting in order to lose weight then do not overdo it as it can cause hair thinning due to nutritional deficiencies.
Lastly, we will discuss on some natural ways to reduce DHT levels in the blood.
- Stress and Sleep deprivation can accelerate hair loss. So keep your stress levels low and have a sound sleep of atleast 8 hours daily.
- Regular Exercise has been shown to lower DHT levels. Perform any form of exercise for atleast 30 minutes daily.
- SAW PALMETTO: Studies have shown that this naturally occurring substance blocks the enzyme 5-Alpha Reductase and hence reduces DHT. Sawplametto is approved in many countries and you get capsules of this substance along with multi vitamin and zinc magnesium supplements.
- FOODS THAT LOWER DHT LEVELS:
10: Beans and Soybeans: beans are a excellent and an inexpensive source of zinc, which helps in hair growth and hair repair. Studies have shown that compounds in soybeans may promote hair growth. One of these compounds is spermidine, which is abundantly found in soybeans.
9: Meat: Specially Red meat is rich in iron and this increases your red blood cell count, which in turn helps the red blood cells deliver oxygen to all cells in the body, including hair follicles.
8: Oysters: Oysters are one of the best sources of zinc in the diet. Zinc helps in hair growth and repair.
7: Seeds: Specially flaxseeds and chia seeds in addition to vitamin E, zinc and selenium, also provide omega-3 fatty acids and all of these promote hair growth.
6: Nuts: specially almonds and walnuts provide vitamin E, B complex vitamins, zinc and essential fatty acids, all of which promote hair growth and they are also proven to protect your heart.
5: Avocados: They are not only super delicious but also an excellent source of vitamin E and also rich in Vitamin C, K and Omega-3 fatty acids.
4: Fatty Fish: Fatty fish like salmon, herring and mackerel are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to improved hair growth and even density.
3: Spinach: Spinach is loaded with folates, iron, and vitamins A and C, which may promote hair growth. A deficiency in these nutrients may result in hair loss. Spinach is a best plant-based source of iron, specially great for vegetarians.
2: Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and biotin, which are so important for healthy hair and hair growth. Eggs are also a great source of zinc, selenium and other nutrients. This makes them one of the best foods for optimal hair health.
Another Important Nutrient in Egg – Biotin is essential for the production of a hair protein called keratin. Research has shown that consuming more biotin can help improve hair growth in people with biotin deficiency.
1: Berries: berries are loaded with beneficial compounds and vitamins that promote hair growth. This includes vitamin C, which has strong antioxidant properties.
For example, strawberries are rich in vitamin C, which help in collagen production and iron absorption which are two factors that can promote hair growth.