Onion Juice for Hair loss treatment? It might sound surprising, but onion juice is considered a cheap home remedy for hair loss. In todays episode, am gonna reveal you the real facts on onion juice as a remedy for hairloss. The most important question whether it works for male pattern baldness, that’s androgenetic alopecia which is the most common cause of baldness and hair loss – over 90 percent of the cases.
Before I reveal you about the efficacy of onion juice for baldness and on which type of hair loss it really works and how? Lets quickly learn some different types of alopecia. Alopecia is a medical term for hair loss. Do not skip this topic, as this is important to understand the role of onion juice for hair fall treatment.
- Androgenic Alopecia – or hair loss caused by genetics, or family history. This is the most common type of hair loss pattern in men and also called male pattern baldness in males and again the most common cause of hair loss in women and is called female pattern baldness. We will discuss these types and stages of male pattern baldness in detail in some other episode.
- Alopecia Areata – This is a patchy hair loss and is an autoimmune disorder which causes the bodys own immune system to attack the healthy hair follicles. The exact cause of this remains unknown, but it is thought to be triggered by stress and traumatic events.
- Alopecia Totalis and Alopecia Universalis are rare types: Totalis means the patchy type of hair loss will make the scalp totally bald. Where as the Universalis means loss of all hair from the entire body including eyebrows, eyelashes and all body hair.
- Traction Alopecia: This type of hair loss occurs due to traction or excessive tension by pulling of the hair like when vigorously combing hair, applying some hair styling procedures and even tight braiding and tight ponytails. This type of hair loss is usually reversible when you stop these bad habits that cause hair loss. Please watch my important episode on the 10 common habits that can cause hair loss in men and women from an end screen link after this video.
Now coming straight to the point! Now you know the types of hair loss, we will now know the real facts and myths on onion juice for baldness treatment.
Firstly Some Facts on Onions:
- Onions and even garlic contain sulfur, which is good for hair because the hair protein keratin need sulfur for its production. It is also said that the sulfur from onions may also help promote collagen production. Collagen in turn helps the production of healthy skin cells and hair growth.
Here is the catch! You need dietary sulfur intake which is then carried through blood circulation into the hair bulb which then helps in promoting hair growth. So topical application of onion juice has absolutely no scientific basis.
- Other theories say that it has anti microbial and anti oxidant properties that help in hair growth.
- Some also say it increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth, but nothing is scientifically proved.
- And moreover, only one research study was conducted in 2002 on this onion juice and treatment of alopecia areata, mind you it was used only for patchy hair loss and not for the commonest androgenetic alopecia. In alopecia areata it was shown to give some successful results. Although the study said it showed positive results, it was tested in a small number of only 38 participants. I have linked two research articles on this topic and both say – the exact mechanism of action of onion juice for hair loss treatment is not known. So that says it all!
And No other scientific study has shown the effectiveness of onion juice for male pattern baldness or hair loss. If you have patchy hair loss or even traction alopecia, it might work, whether due to a placebo effect or by other means, not sure!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12126069 2002 study.