In this article, we will discuss on how to get rid of dark circles by medical treatments and some natural home remedies for dark circles that work! In previous article we discussed on the reasons for dark circles.
We will discuss on the Treatment of Dark circles by splitting this topic into three sections:
- Self Care & Prevention of Further Progress
- Medical Treatments
- Natural or Home remedies that actually work.
SELF CARE & PREVENTION:
- You need to rectify or intervene your lifestyle to avoid all those 10 Factors responsible for causing these dark circles like adequate sleep, avoid stress, stop bad habits like smoking and all those 10 factors discussed in my previous episode.
In addition, you can apply some simple changes in life on day to day basis. like
- Head Elevation using an extra pillow specially if you have baggy eyes or puffiness. This is to prevent fluid accumulation or stasis of blood.
- 1 Hour of Extra Sleep will help in the long run. Check out some useful Sleep hacks from this article. Short term or Temporary methods to deal with dark circles:
- SIMPLE MAKE UP: This according to me should be the first option before you proceed with the actual treatments and remedies for dark circles. You can use makeup foundation or concealer to conceal that darker pigment or color. This makes you feel better and relieves your anxiety and stress to some extent. then
- WEAR SUNGLASSES: These not only protect your peri orbital skin from pigmentation from sunlight, but also cover or hide those dark circles.
Medical treatment of Dark Circles:
- CREAMS: Apply creams containing some important ingredients like Retinols, hydroquinone, green tea, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, peptides, Caffeine, ceramides and hyaluronic acid. These ingredients boost skin elasticity by promoting elastin and collagen production. Use creams containing one or more of these ingredients. Remember these eye creams are formulated specifically for the delicate skin around the eye. You can start with retinol and hyaluronic acid low dose cream for dark circles, because high dose retinol is not recommended to use around eyes. Use Caffiene formulation if you additionally have puffiness.
- INVASIVE & NON INVASIVE MEDICAL TREATMENTS: Will not go into details of these treatments. Will just mention the names of these treatments and then jump to Natural home remedies for dark circles. The non invasive ones include:
- Radio Frequency treatment – this non invasive method is actually helpful. You can consult with your dermatologist about this simple OPD procedure.
- Other methods include Q-switched Laser and Pulsed Dye lasers.
INVASIVE TREATMENTS like Chemical Peels and Medical Tattoos have their own side effects.
Natural remedies for dark circles:
- COLD COMPRESS: Take few small ice cubes in a clean piece of cloth or a hanky and apply to your eyes or under eyes. You can also just dip a clean cloth in cold water and apply for about 10 to 15 minutes two or three times in a day. This works by constricting the blood vessels and reduces swelling and dark circles, if followed for few days.
- COLD TEA BAGS: Applying cold tea bags to your eyes can actually help. Tea contains caffeine and antioxidants that fight inflammation. Caffiene constricts the blood vessels and reduce fluid retention or stasis beneath the skin.
Soak two normal tea bags or even green tea bags in hot water for five minutes. Then allow them to chill in the refrigerator for about 15 to 20 minutes. Once they’re cold, apply the teabags to your closed eyes for 10 to 20 minutes once daily. After removing, rinse your eyes with cold water.
- COLD ALOE VERA GEL: Take a fresh leaf from aloe vera plant and extract the gel. Chill it in refrigerator for about 10 minutes and Then apply the gel on the under eye skin and leave it there for 15 minutes and then rinse if you wish.
- Other Stuff like Cucumbers, Potatoes, Mint leaves, Coconut oil and even milk are used by many, but the efficacy of these is controversial.