You see Most of us think grey hair or white hair are related to aging and your genes. Of course they do play a major role in hair greying but there are some natural hacks and remedies to slow down or even reverse hair greying problem, specially premature hair greying.
Yes in this article we will look into the causes of grey hair and 7 treatments or remedies to slow down or treat grey hair.
But before we start, please take a moment to click on the Subscribe button as well as the bell icon next to it so that you receive notification whenever we add another useful episode.
What are the causes of Hair greying?
Hair color is due to a pigment called melanin which is produced by special cells in your skin called Melanocytes. Melanin if of two types: eumelanin and pheomelanin. Generally, if more eumelanin is present, the color of the hair is darker; if less eumelanin is present, the hair is lighter. Eumelanin gives blackish or brownish color to your hair, where as pheomelanin gives orange and reddish color to your hair. And All this depends on your genes.
Grey hair or white hair can also occur naturally in some races. This is mainly due to a lack of pigmentation and melanin.
What causes abnormal or premature greying or white hair?
- Aging: Gray hair color typically occurs naturally as people age. But For some people this can happen at a very young age, even as young as 10 or in their teenage. This happens at some point in the human life cycle, when melanocyte cells that are located in the base of the hair’s follicles slow, and eventually stop producing pigment.
One Hypothesis says Greying occurs due to a buildup of hydrogen peroxide in your hair, which bleaches your hair from the inside. An enzyme called catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. But as you get older, catalase production starts to slow down and hence Hydrogen peroxide starts to accumulate in the body causing grey hair. Another theory says that a chemical Glutathione peroxidase is an antioxidant produced by the liver, turns hydrogen peroxide into water and helps prevent hair greying.
- Some Pathological causes that can rarely cause this problem are Thyroid deficiencies and also nutritional problems like Vitamin B12 deficiencies, Then conditions like Albinism, Vitiligo, Malnutrition, etc also cause hair greying.
- Race and Genetics – is most important. Europeans often begin to grow gray hairs in their mid-30s while Asians begin graying in their late 30s, but most Africans retain their original hair color until their mid-40s.
- Stress is another important factor that can cause premature hair greying.
- External Factors like use of chemical dyes or colors, some strong shampoos and even excessive smoking can cause this problem. Even excessive sunlight exposure is also thought to cause this problem.
Solutions and prevention of hair greying:
- Lifestyle Changes – If the cause is due to stress, smoking and nutritional deficiencies rectify these issues first.
- Stop using those hair styling agents, bleaches and chemicals and strong shampoos.
- Protect your hair from the direct sunlight. Cover up with a hat or a scarf.
- Supplements: You can try glutathione supplements 500-1000mg on an empty stomach at bedtime. Eat foods rich in vitamin C, which raises glutathione in red blood cells.
- Exercise: Regular exercise boosts your body’s antioxidant levels, including our glutathione.
- Pseudocatalase cream: Yes it mimics the effects of the enzyme catalase which claims to reverse hair greying. But this is little expensive.
- Foods: You can also eat more catalase-rich foods such as broccoli, kale, cucumbers, radishes, and celery.
So there you have it folks. If you know any other solution to this problem, please comment below.
Consider Subscribing if you are new to our channel. Stay Healthy!