In this article we will look into 5 Surprising facts and myths related to Egg and Egg yolk. I guarantee! you will be absolutely surprised to watch this eggs surprise episode and learn a lot of truths and shocking things your knew before!
So, Lets begin with the Egg facts myths and Questions:
- Egg Yolk Contains High Cholesterol and Bad for Health!
This is a Myth! One average sized chicken egg contains about 186 mg/dl of cholesterol and all of it is present in the yolk. So its obviously true that eating egg yolk should increase your blood cholesterol! But the good news is – It’s the GOOD Cholesterol or the HDL cholesterol that increases. The higher this HDL value, the better it is for your heart health. So eating eggs is actually good for your health because in addition to raising your good cholesterol and being high in the best quality protein and amino acids, it contains a lot of other useful vitamins and minerals. You know you get a life out of an egg!, so obviously eggs are Superfoods! – Infact the Natures Perfect Food!
- How many Eggs can I eat per day?
Well this varies from person to person and your digestive system and also depends on the type of egg you eat – and this we shall discuss later. Studies have shown that eating up to three whole eggs per day is perfectly safe and there is no evidence that eating more that three will cause you any harm. And Moreover, eggs are so inexpensive and easy to prepare and also taste awesome. Is n’t it?
- Eating or Drinking Raw Eggs is good for Muscle Building and Health?
Well, this is the biggest myth! It is infact bad for your health. Let me explain this! Whether raw egg or cooked egg both are nutritious and have lot of nutrients.
The three main reasons or concerns you should avoid eating or drinking raw eggs are:
- a small risk of Salmonella infection which can cause a bad diarrhoea or gastroenteritis in some people, specially if you have low immunity and things like that.
- Eggs contain all 9 essential amino acids and hence they are rightly called “complete” protein. The problem is eating the eggs raw can reduce the absorption of these quality proteins. So, protein is better absorbed from cooked eggs or partly cooked eggs, though some other nutrients may be slightly reduced by the cooking process.
- Another concern is Eating Raw egg can cause Biotin deficiency. Biotin is a very important B complex vitamin and very important for hair loss patients. Biotin is found in egg yolk and its enemy called Avidin is present in egg white. If you consume raw egg, this avidin bind to biotin and blocks its absorption. When you cook the egg, heat destroys this avidin and you get biotin available for absorption. As simple as that.
- Brown Eggs or Desi Eggs are Better than White Eggs:
I am sure most of us know the price difference of these two eggs. Do these brown eggs have a high nutritional value when compared to white eggs or the cheaper eggs? Do the brown eggs contains any special vitamin or mineral that’s exclusive for this type of egg?
Does the colour of its shell, make it healthier than white eggs? Or Whats hidden inside is what really matter!
Most of us think expensive things are good! But the truth is – other than the price difference and the hen that lay these eggs – that’s White-feathered chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs; red or brown ones with red earlobes lay brown eggs. Other than that there is absolutely no real difference in nutritional value between brown and white eggs. But some studies have shown that a very negligible amount of Omega-3 fatty acids – little higher in brown eggs. But for us this actually does not really matter. So this is the fact!
- What Type of Egg is Good for Health?
There are lot of labels for egg types like organic, vegetarian-fed, free-range, cage-free, Pasture raised eggs and so on. So Where do you start? Well, where do all these egg types come from: a Chicken. Right? Though Pasture raised eggs are considered the best. If you trust your grocery store or the brand, you can go for it. Because No hormones or antibiotics are injected into this poultry and they are considered best.