In Today’s article we will discuss on the 10 Genuine Home remedies for hair loss and hair thinning for both men and women. Some of these are proven to work and have a scientific basis while other natural remedies have no scientific background and either do not work, or act through a placebo effect.
There are many Hair loss solutions and treatments like hair fall shampoos, lotions and pills! There are 100s of products that claim to cure hair loss. Which one can you trust?
Now, Lets list out the 10 natural remedies for hair loss treatment based on research studies conducted in various years. Some of these might be very helpful, whether you’re trying to regrow hair that you’ve lost or simply like to improve your existing hair or to treat hair thinning. And all Links & references to these research studies on hair loss remedies are provided in description below this video.
10. Head Massage: Gently massaging your scalp in circular motion and pressures, can improve the blood flow to the scalp hair follicles and stimulate hair growth. Doing this at least twice daily is found to be helpful. This can not only strengthen your existing hair, but it also proven to treat hair thinning, specially if its due to nutritional deficiencies. Supplements like biotin, collagen, vitamin C, zinc and others, along with scalp massage will revert your hair back to normal within 3 to 6 months if the cause is due to nutritional factors. In addition, head massage also relieves stress and anxiety!
Before I list out the other remedies for hair loss, you should know that hair growth is primarily determined by genetics and on an individual’s overall health. But the good news is! These are natural remedies and have no side effects! So, why not try these! Whether singly or in combination, these can have an impact on your hair! And also remember ! any treatment must be followed for atleast 6 months to see any kind of result.
9. Aloe Vera: Fresh aloe vera gel extract from a leaf has great anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces scalp inflammation specially in seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff and reduces itchiness and scaling to a considerable extent. Studies also say, it stimulates blood circulation and improve delivery of oxygen and nutrition to hair follicles.
So, Now! How to use Aloe vera gel?
– Cut a healthy leaf from aloe vera plant.
– Peel one side of this and Scrape out the gel using a spoon.
– Apply this gel directly to your scalp and massage in circular motions.
– Leave it on for an hour or two and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
– Use this two or three times in a week for atleast 6 months consistently to see any results.
8. Ginseng: Taking ginseng supplements can promote hair growth by stimulating hair follicles and blocking the hormone DHT – DiHydroxyTestosterone. The active ingredients in ginseng are called Ginsenosides. Ginseng is a special short plant with fleshy roots and the Asian variety is considered the best because it contains these active ingredients for hair stimulation. There are many supplements with ginseng available to purchase online. The link to this research study is provided in description below. And one more point to note: Ginger and Ginseng are not the same!
7. Coconut Oil: Though Coconut oil contains seven different types of fatty acids like the caproic, caprylic, capric, lauric acid, etc, there is no study to prove that coconut oil promotes hair growth. It is only a good conditioner and improves the luster of your hair, especially if you have dry hair. It also protects your hair by coating it and prevents damage to your hair shaft. Some recommend mixing lemon into coconut oil and apply on hair. This is not proven to promote hair regrowth.
6. Onion Juice: Onion juice has been shown to successfully treat patchy hair loss also known as alopecia areata by promoting hair growth in bald areas or patches. But only one such study is conducted in the year 2002 and with a small number of only about 38 patients. Also, it is not proven to grow hair in male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia. I have discussed about onion juice and hair growth in a detailed episode. You can find that link in the video description below.
5. Garlic: Similar to onion juice, a 2007 research study found that applying garlic paste along with betamethasone valerate cream on bald areas produced more hair regrowth than using a placebo treatment with the steroid cream betamethasone. Again, this study was conducted only in 40 patients with alopecia areata and not androgenetic alopecia. Much like onion, garlic is also full of minerals and vitamins that might help, but no proper scientific evidence found. Applying a paste of blended garlic cloves can be tried as a home remedy for hair loss without any adverse effects. Do let me know the results if you have tried by commenting below!
4. Viviscal: Viviscal is an oral hair growth supplement containing a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids said to combat hair thinning. The key ingredient in Viviscal is the AminoMar Marine Complex, which contains shark cartilage and oyster extract powder. Studies have been conducted on this many times and all studies have shown its efficacy in hair thinning patients in both male pattern baldness and female alopecia. I recommend using this for stage 2 and 3 and to treat hair thinning in combination with minoxidil.
You can read stage wise treatment of male pattern baldness here.
3. Biotin: Biotin, zinc, copper and collagen supplements or from foods rich in these sources are also very useful for hair regrowth if used in conjunction with other treatments like minoxidil.
2. Jojoba Oil and Rosemary Oil or any other Oil: These have no effect on hair growth and hair regrowth and these work similar to coconut oil as already discussed!
1. Licorice roots: Licorice is thought to opens skin pores and strengthens weakened hair follicles by its antiandrogenic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidative, angiogenic, and hair-stimulating features. It is also found to be helpful in hair loss due to telogen effluvium.
One last and very important natural DHT blocker to mention is Saw Palmetto. This is a proven remedy for androgenetic alopecia. This is also used for the treatment of prostate enlargement. There are many supplements available which contain this substance.
Links to all these research studies are provided in description below, for your reference.
Oils and hair: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094
Viviscal: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509882/ and
Licorice root – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29945259